2017 Reserve de la Cave Pinot Noir
- Pinot Noir
The 2017 summer was very mild, with La Nina conditions keeping the temperatures low to moderate, and avoiding any extremes of heat. This resulted in a later start, and longer flowering and growing period across the region- by around 2-3 weeks (actually more in line with the historical phenology of the region). We experienced rains mid-February through to March, however our non- irrigated vines were able to flourish, and we were able to produce fruit of exceptional quality – with wonderful colour, tannin, and flavour development.
Our Reserve de la Cave range are produced from the original south facing slope of the Woodlands Vineyard, planted between 1973 and 1976. A maximum of 600 bottles of the Reserve de la Cave Pinot Noir are produced each vintage.
After being handpicked 60% of the fruit was de-stemmed and hand sorted, the other 40% added as whole bunches, into small open fermenters. The must was then left to ferment without adding yeast, spending a total of 30 days on skins. Following fermentation the must was transferred to new French oak for 15 months, before being settled and gently racked prior to bottling.
This is a beguiling wine of brick red colour. On the first reveal the nose shows perfumed primary notes of wild strawberry, rose and cherry cola, with basil and thyme creating a savoury component. On the palate the primary flavours are joined by touches of new leather and sandalwood, while a slight dusty minerality builds an impression of the terroir. The finish is precise and elegant.
This is a medium bodied Pinot with length and firmness, with a refined web of tannin. This wine responds very well to aeration, 24hrs will coax its charm to the surface beautifully.
Wild mushrooms and thyme bruschetta, with fresh burrata
Seared salmon steak with Pinot and blackberry jus
Roasted Chicken breast, pomegranate glaze and pine nuts
You Might Also Like
- Wilyabrup Valley Chardonnay
- Wilyabrup Valley Cabernet Franc Merlot